May 9, 2013

May Gossamer Blue....watercolored rainbows

I'm back with more watercoloring today and it's all about rainbows.  I chose some papers from the May Gossamer Blue kits that had a rainbow theme to use as a starting point for some birthday cards.  I used watercolors, brushes from my Mixed Media Kit, a spray bottle, my heat tool, 2 jars of water and cream cardstock. 
I always spray my watercolors first to get them moistened up. 
Next I used my patterned papers as a color guide when mixing my watercolors to get a good match.  
I started off with a wash of color, first wetting the entire paper surface with clean water.
Then I painted strips of color onto the wet surface so that the watercolor would soak in and spread out. I used the strips on my patterned paper as to how wide I made my brush strokes.
On this one below I went back in let more of the same colors run down the paper surface.
For this one I just painted vertical lines straight down from the zig zags of color.
While my watercolored papers dried I stamped some sentiment using Papertrey Ink stamps and gathered up some flags from the Gossamer Blue kits. 
Here's my final cards.  I kept them fairly flat and with minimal embellishments.  These will be gifts for our moms and they tend to like simple cards.  I just realized that the right card on the top has the watercolored paper adhered the wrong way & the colors don't match up.  And that's okay! ha.
I used Washi tape from the kits to secure the toothpick flags.  I then stamped stars from the stamp set from the kits and cut them out with my scissors.
The bottoms of my cards have the fun watercolored pieces.  
Hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!  I'll be spending a day with Dina Wakley in one of her awesome art journaling classes. I can't wait to get all painty....

3 comments:

lisa westphal said...

These are adorable, Michelle. They seriously make me smile!! :)

Anonymous said...

What fab rainbow ideas Mish - the little flags are great accents. Thanks for the inspiration, Rx

Handmade in Israel said...

I love these cards! So original and very cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails